Open Category, Honorable Mention
The COVID-19 pandemic has shook the world including Singapore. Jobs are being lost, incomes are crumbling and business are struggling to stay afloat. It's a tough time for many to find jobs given the circuit breaker and the uncertain economic outlook.
Nonetheless, there are people who continue to muster all the perseverance and resilience to weather this crisis and take up any job challenges to sustain the living. Just like the food delivery rider in my pic. His forward motion and cadence, battling against the constant head-wind invoke a sense of strength, resilient and positive energy to challenge this uncertain conditions. It has been inspiring and motivating for me who is also trying to stay afloat and positive during this tough period. We have to be resilient, stay positive, relevant and continue to brave the “storm”. Keep on moving, continue to move forward.
- How does your entry connect to you personally to the theme This Is My Story?
Basically my image is to relate to the current bad market situation where job and livelihood are new challenges they have to face. Being resilient and adaptable to new challenges would allow one to tide through this tough period.
- Was there any external inspiration behind your shot that you have used as reference?
My inspiration is to derived motion and slow shutter speed panning is the way that allow the image to have motion blur effect.
- Obviously you are a photographer whose creative vision is not limited by your gear. Any advice for those starting out?
Keep shooting and exploring using mobile camera. Is digital and you got nothing to lose except some time to clear those unwanted images made during the process.
- How did the use of post-processing enhance the storytelling ability of your entries?
Basic cropping and light and show enhancement made to accentuate my subject.
- If you had the chance to retake your shot(s), what would you do differently?
Not likely to have the same as my image was made during Covid19, unless there is another lockdown. Nonetheless it can be done on another weather situation.
About the Photographer
- When, how, and why did you get into photography?
Since 2012, just exploring macro and find out more about digital photography.
- Do you define yourself by any particular style(s) of photography? If so, what are they and why?
All, self-taught and pick up tips among friends and online resources.
- How has your photographic journey been affected by COVID-19? Are you more inspired to take more photos? Have the restrictions hindered, or conversely enhanced your creativity?
Not exactly, just that wearing a mask and walk long hours outdoor is not very comfortable... inspiration will always be there when there is passion.
- What are your photographic goals after Montage 2020?
Keep the hobby and passion alive and explore new areas of photography which I have yet to try as often such as portraiture.